Japanese Onigiri (Rice Balls)
By GFteenager on 18 February 2011 | Viewed 9856 times
These rice balls are absolutely delicious!
Very filling too
Freshly cooked sushi rice - use the absorption method instructions on the packet and cook in your rice cooker or pot
– Teriyaki chicken or tuna (I prefer savoury onion tuna)
- Diced red pepper and avocado - you can also use cucumber or carrot
- Small bowl
- Glad wrap
- Use rice while its still fairly hot as this will make it easier to form balls.
- Cut a fairly large piece of glawrap and sit it in the bowl
- Rinse some water around in the bowl (this will help the gladwrap sink in)
- Sprinkle some salt around the bowl (to prevent sticking)
- Take a small handful of rice and put it in the bowl, pushing it into the bottom and up the sides of the bowl until you have a 1cm covering of rice
- Add fillings (diced capsicum, avocado and chicken/tuna)
- Place enough rice on top to cover ingredients
- Take the gladwrap and pull it together around the ball and twist it round and round moulding the rice into a round ball with your hands
- Take the rice ball out of the gladwrap and repeat!
I like to eat the rice balls with mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce, but they are just as delicious on their own!
Please note: You do not have to use a bowl, you can use your hands to hold the rice (must have wet hands). However, I find using a bowl is easier
Comments about this recipe / add yours
Page 1 of 1 pages